RE: Kapton = Ozone, UV resistant?

>> Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>>
>> Well, I already have some Kapton, so I'd like to get the low down on that
>> before choosing plan B.

>I read somewhere that Kapton becomes a conductor, or at least a poor
>insulator, at high temperatures.

Unless you're talking about ridiculously high temperatures, I find that hard
to believe, given that Kapton is the dielectric of choice for high
performance circuit boards, and is also used for high temperature
applications.  The DuPont Web site http://www.kapton-dupont-dot-com/daten2.htm
<http://www.kapton-dupont-dot-com/daten2.htm>  gives extensive data about it:

KAPTONŽ Type HN is a
tough, aromatic polyimide film,
exhibiting an excellent balance
of physical, chemical, and
electrical properties over a
wide temperature range,
particularly at unusually high
temperatures...

While there is no mention of UV resistance, it does suggest that there are
some special variants of the Kapton films:
"In addition to these three types of KAPTONŽ, films are available with the
following attributes:
* corona resistant"...

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA