Re: Kapton = Ozone, UV resistant?

Gary,

PVDF is an acronym for (poly)vinylidene fluoride.  It is often sold under
the name Kynar, which is a trademark of Elf Atochem NA Inc. This stuff is as
close to COMPLETELY resistant to UV as a plastic can be.  We use it here in
the lab for the Nanopure water carboys in our tissue culture media
production room.  We have the perimeter of the room lined with short wave UV
germicidal lamps which run all night, every night. The room is vacated
before the lamps are turned on.  The smell of ozone in the room is
nauseating. The HDPE carboy we used to have in this room failed in about a
year, due to complete deterioration (it actually crumbled!)  One of the PVDF
carboys is 6 inches from one of the lamps and shows NO signs of
deterioration after 5 years.  I have included a link to a website with more
info for anyone interested http://www.plasticsandmetals-dot-com/kynar.html .
This stuff is a bit more expensive, but I can totally vouch for its UV
resistance (its chemical resistance and dielectric strength are excellent
too).  PVDF would be an excellent choice for a RSG enclosure.  Its worth
checking out.  Hope this helps.  Coil safe.

Eric
edavidson-at-icva.gov