Re: : The big bad Mark III

At 08:09 AM 08/15/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Troy Peterson" <highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com>
>
>Dan,
><snip>
>> why have you limited yourself to 15 amps? you could plug the spark gap
>motor
>> into a seperate outlet. but of course you are using nst's so you would
>have
>> to build a synchronous gap. you can still get excellent performance from
>an
>> airblast gap too. just plug in your air compressor and fill the tank. then
>> unplug and run the coil.
>> <Snip>
>
>Now I'm convinced there is something fishy going on, as I said before my
>house is about 50 years old. Heres the thing: I looked in my fuse box
>(located in an akward crawlspace) and found only 6 fuses! I was unable to
>get close enough to look at the acutal ratings, but that cannot be right.
>There should be 2 for my range, and 2 for my dryer at least, right? That
>leaves two circuits in the whole house - can't be right. If it is then those
>fuses have to be slightly more than 15 Amps. I talked to an electrician and
>his figureing is that something illigal is going on in my wireing,
>specifically, its possible that most of my house is wired directly to the
>main bus: Unlimited current, ALRIGHT!!! .... I don't want to take that
>chance, and I want this coild built so that it can be run anywhere (provided
>that there is a suitable ground). Also worth mention I think is that it's a
>duplex, I don't know if that has any bearing on the wireing.
>
>Regards,
>Troy Peterson [VE7SOK]
>troypete-at-sunwave-dot-net
>highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com

I bought my 6 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 3800 sq. ft. house in 1974.  The house was
built in 1925 and added onto in 1930.  I think the fuse box had a total of 4
fuses in it.  All circuits went through a fuse, but some of the wiring was
enough to make you either laugh or cry.  The first remodeling project was to
replace the fuse box with a 200 A service.

Gary Johnson