Re: brushes

On that fateful day 8/14/00 3:56 PM, thus spake Tesla list:

> Original poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>
> << Original poster: "LOCKWOOD, Chris J." <clockwood-at-orbeng-dot-com.au>
>
> has anybody tried using brushes instead of a gap?
>
> I think a fellow named Tesla might have.  The difficulty I see is that at
> the high current, the break will cause a good voltage spike which might
> cause difficulty in quenching.  Also, carbon brushes might get hot enough
> to create power arcs like in a carbon arc lamp.
> Good Luck,
> Mike

Tesla's mercury break was essentially a "brush" design, since it was not
intended to arc, but used a stream of mercury to make direct contact with a
ring of stationary copper electrodes.

This is what was used on the two big oscillators at C-Springs.

- Gomez

Is it weird in here or is it just me?