Avalon

Comments folded in for texture:

>Original poster: "Gomez ADDams" <gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com>

>My first thought is that unless someone other than you is going to remain
>the owner, and will simply be playing landlord to your lessor (in writing),
>then you do not want to take occupancy or ownership unless and until you've
>investigated the whole site for possible environmental clean-up messes like
>that one.  Preferably get someone knowledgeable to help inspect.

I have toured the site with a friend from the DEQ. She's very failiar with
the complex and has been dealing with it(and it's results) for years.

>See if you can get whoever is giving you the site (or giving you access to
>the site) to sign off on a document that the site is either free of such
>stuff, or that you as occupant will not be held responsible for existing
>polution.

What you're talking about is a Baseline Envirnmental Analysis (BEA) and does
exactly that. There was a complete one done in 98 (and it fills a pair of 4
ddrawer file cabinets, these people are through). The BEA works ONLY for
that particular buyer, and is not valid for me (even though it's still
accurate). Without a whole new BEA, we're somewhat liable, but safe enough
to go ahead with the project because we *know* in advance the issues and are
gung-ho about cleaning it up and working WITH the DEQ and EPA. In fact,
there are 2 members in the Group who work for the DEQ and most of the local
office of the DEQ is coming to the Tesla Demo this evening :)

I can just see the EPA getting wind of this place, coming in and
>declaring the whole place a Superfund site.  ;)

It was declared a SFS years ago, as were 6 other areas in the greater
Kalamazoo area. Here's the fun part.
Portage Creek (which runs straight through the center of our parcel) is a
superfund site.
The Kalamazoo River, is a SFS.
The Allied Paper Corporation (directly upstream and less than 500 yards
away) is a SFS.
And Our parcel, is a SFS.

To quote Carrol (our local friend at the DEQ, "The PCB levels are
obscene"....envirnmentally, this couldn't get any worse without having PNAs.
That's WHY we're so intent on cleaning it up. There are signifigant monies
availible for the cleanup work we will be doing through everybody from the
DQ to the EPA to Grants, Donations, foundations, Greenpeace and everyone
else.

God help me if I were some big corporation who wanted to shove it under the
carpet though.....man, these people can really ruin your life.

>Yeah, but power for the lighting might be coming through that pig!

Wanna hear a good one?
The power to Mill-E (that building) is fed through a cable that is laying on
the ground between the buildings. Exposed, driven on...about a 200A service
at 240. I was walking across the lot and noticed it in the brush, walked up
with my touchless probe and it started chirping...then I started
chirping.....I was not pleased.

btw, the PIG stays. I'll deal with it when I own it.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group
www.geekgroup-dot-org