Re: Wild caps...and shopping :)

I have to add a few comments / suggestions to Marc's excellent advice.
I don't think high voltage safety practices can be repeated or over-state
too much.

on that fateful day 8/12/00 11:01 AM, Tesla list uttered:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

[deleted: much good safety advice about safety "ground outs" of HV, high
fault current supplies]

> now before
> i'm caused of " fear mongering" these are just some of the things i was
> thought in hv training and i "live" by them to this day.

 Let me second what Marc said.  He is not exaggerating the risks.  I worked
for years as a field tech on fire pump controllers and high voltage pump
controllers.  Because of the regulations which govern fire pumps, some of
which use motors of 300HP and up, there are no disconnects or circuit
breakers permitted up stream of the fire pump, other than the main high
voltage disconnects and line fuses.  Therefore, the available fault current
can exceed 200,000 amps in some cases.

 I have watched the site electricians ground out the high voltage feed to
one of "my" HV motor controllers, and they did exactly what Marc is talking
about, each and every time, in painstaking detail, step by step.  Even
though our equipment was designed to completely physically isolate itself
from the high voltage stab connectors, they weren't taking _any_ chances.

And for good reason.

> things happen
> and i have seen 30+year veteran hv men do stupid things so take it slow
> and be sure were all your tools and body parts are at all times, look
> and try to visualize what might happen and go from there.
> be slow, be careful, be safe,

 Don't work around high voltage when you haven't had enough sleep, been
partying the night before, had an argument with your girlfriend/wife, are
worried about your brother's cancer, etc.  Distractions kill, whether it's
high explosives, machine tools, or high voltage.

 Don't do it if you haven't got all of the requisite protective gear.  Class
3 (good to 26,500 AC volts) lineman's gloves will set you back about $170
($129 for the rubber insulating gloves, $39 for the leather over-gloves
which keep the rubber gloves from getting holes, nicks, or scratches), but
they are worth every penny, as they are _real_ "life insurance".

 When working around switchgear or HV distribution equipment, wear a face
shield and heavy cotton or leather clothing- no synthetics!  A high power
"flash" can be an incredibly damaging event, and when it happens, there is
no time to react, the damage is done before you know something is going to
happen.  Having your shirt welded to your skin, or being blinded in both
eyes will ruin your whole year.

 If you're sticking your hand in a cabinet of some kind to check for voltage
with a probe or meter, follow the "one hand rule"- stick your left hand in
your pocket.  This reduces the chance of current crossing your chest cavity-
shocks through your feet give a greater chance of survival.

 - Gomez,
who still has all his fingers despite playing with explosives throughout his
young life, and high voltage throughout his adult life.

Fight for your right to privacy & freedom on the internet!  Use strong
encryption.  Encourage others to do the same.  Strong encryption is your
key to electronic privacy.  I have PGP-fone available for secure voice.
PGP fingerprint: 1CC2 ACFA 166B 92C7 FC4E  D0F5 006A 0EC1 8BD3 A988