Re: Shopping...and AVALON! HA!

Comments interspersed:

>Original poster: "Gomez ADDams" <gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com>
> > You (or anyone) could always come and help. We're always open to new
>members
> > :)
>
>I'm not ready to relocate across country for what is just one of my
>obsessions.  Now if it were a paying job...  ;)

We *will* be looking for teachers for the HV labs. Not great pay, but
decent. I'm the Pres/C.E.O. and my personal salary is capped at $52K. I'm in
this to teach people and change the world, not get rich.

>This seems to apply here:
>"If a thing is good, they will stop making it" - Doran's Law

Yeah...remember the DeLorean D.M.C.-12? :)

> >> Consider providing high voltage testing services.
> >>

> > That could be fun.
>
>It was just a wild idea.
>
>However, you'd have to establish how (and whether) you would test to
>applicable existing standards.  Most ultra-high voltage testing is done for
>the power distribution industry, and they have specific tests, voltages,
>frequencies, pulse widths, etc, that they want to see.  A Tesla coil may or
>may not work for you there.  However, you could always build a big Marx to
>go with it, which would make a nice companion.  And a Marx could at least
>be
>used for BIL or insulator flash-over tests...

That is beyond the scope of the Group. However, what we do for domo's,
projects, and just for kicks is another matter. We DID once run a computer
off an old inverter from a car battery (to isolate it from the mains) and
hit the 110VAC feed to the "Surge Protection" power strip with 10KV from a
FIT, just to see what would happen.

Another IBM model 35 toast. :) The inverter however, lived.

> > A TC falls under an Unintentional Radiator, and is a terrible
>transmitter to
> > boot. there are FCC issues though.
>
>Indeed.

Yup, Jim Lux is GOD when it comes to knowing everything about the FCC and
Tesla Coils.

What we want to offer to the hundreds of listees out there is the
oppertunity to come and play with what we love in an enviroment where they
have all the supplies and tools they could ever need.
When we start making the demo coils we will not only post questions to the
list, but I welcome anyone out there to come and help.
We will provide housing, food, and other sundry nessesities (it's dorm
living, but hey) and they will spend the days (and nights, the Group is no
longer on the 24 hour clock) building things like the following.

A 4X16' secondary coil, PIG powered (probably about 20kVA)
A 1MV MARX Generator
A large VanDeGraff (Western has a 6MEV VanDeGraff Accellorator, and the
largest voltage in town, I'd like to beat that...just for bragging rights).
A 5'tall 10X10' insulated platform
The Avalon Coil (1MVA, outdoor coil, world record attempt)
The worlds longest Jacobs Ladder (Indoors, in exess of 8 stories tall)

And all the other support gear for HV work. Large Spark gaps, stands, carts,
etc....

How about a 5'dia ASRG? Now *that* would be interesting. It would be low
speed, but with 20 electrodes on a massive rotor, just for kicks.

Plus we would build a large array of safe, portable gear for our demos at
local schools and such.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group