Re: Wild caps...and shopping :)

>as far as the utility PCF caps go...   ( especially the ones made by
>westinghouse
>rated for 18KV  1.0 mF ) with some modifications they make great tesla caps
>I came across 2 of these puppies and removed the oil ( which is very nasty
>full
>of stinky aromatics) and then took each "packet" and ran them in series  (
>btw
>there are about 18 packets in each cap) this eventually ended up into a cap
>rated
>for 72KV at .1mF ...
>each packet is good for about 2KV ( forgot the mF rating ) but I have yet
>to blow
>this one up and im running a 10KVA pig at 280V in at 80A    :) i love
>stress
>testing ...
>
>sooo...   if you come across this type of cap    dont dismiss them as
>totally
>useless...
>

>Scot D

Alright.....I'm snagging some. ;) If they blow, they blow. But if not, I
just saved a few grand on MMC caps. :)

I perched my anorexic butt on top of the barbed-wire fence yesterday and
took a set of pics with a good zoom lens. I'll post them to my site on Mon
night or so (when they come back, scann, post....it takes time) I got a few
shots of the plates that with any luck they can be read (and interpreted) my
some of you guys.

All of the caps are about 12"long X 4" wide, but they vary in height from
about 6 to 18". Some carry the standard yellow CAUTION PCBs label, and some
are labeled PCB free. It's a hodge-podge of 40 years of upgrades and
replacements.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group