Re: What has everyone got against PCB?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Garth van Sittert" <garth-at-mediasupplies.co.za>
>
> Just what exactly is the disadvantages of using PCB caps or transformers?
 Just
> wanna make sure:  what exactly is PCB for the slightly ignorant (like me)?

	Polychlorinated biphenyl or something like that?

> Does it swell up and do all wierd things?

	PCB's are toxic if ingested in large enough quantities. There is a
whole family of the things, and they are excellent insulators which have
been around since the mid-30's.  There have been serious incidents where
the stuff got mixed with cattle feed and, in North Africa, where it was
sold as cooking oil by people who stole it.  Several years ago there was
an article in QST by a doctor whose specialty was toxicology.  His
conclusion was that, handling of capacitors filled with PCB but leaking
slightly was perfectly safe if one didn't lick them or stick the
contaminated fingers in the mouth.  His recommendation was to be careful
and wash your hands after handling, but that discarding them as
hazardous waste was unnecessary.  I don't have the reference to the
article handy, unfortunately.

	I think there have been comments here by people "in the know" who
didn't agree.

Ed