Re: Wild caps...and shopping :)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gomez ADDams" <gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com>
>
> on that fateful day 8/10/00 12:14 PM, Tesla list uttered:
>
> > One of the things we noticed on our little jaunt was a large bank of
> > capacitors used next to the private substation for the plant. I have no
idea
> > of ratings or whatnot (I have to go back tomorrow), but they were about
4W X
> > 10L X 6D and had 2 HV bushings. These are probably rated for at least 2000
> > and at most 15KV and I was woindering if they would work for TC duty.
Ideas?
> > Terry?
>
> These are almost certainly PFC caps, very common in the substations of large
> consumers, since their loads tend to be all inductance (motors, welding
> transformers, etc).  They will almost certainly be much, much too high a
> value for coiling.  But if those dimensions are inches, and if they're only
> 1uF or so, you could perhaps put ten of them in series for a big coil.  I
> know someone in Longmont who did that with utility PFC caps.
>
> - Gomez

> aibohpphobia: fear of palindromes

Hi All...

as far as the utility PCF caps go...   ( especially the ones made by
westinghouse
rated for 18KV  1.0 mF ) with some modifications they make great tesla caps ...
I came across 2 of these puppies and removed the oil ( which is very nasty
full
of stinky aromatics) and then took each "packet" and ran them in series  ( btw
there are about 18 packets in each cap) this eventually ended up into a cap
rated
for 72KV at .1mF ...
each packet is good for about 2KV ( forgot the mF rating ) but I have yet
to blow
this one up and im running a 10KVA pig at 280V in at 80A    :) i love stress
testing ...

sooo...   if you come across this type of cap    dont dismiss them as totally
useless...

Scot D