Re: next question> was(RE: New web page/ question)

Deano,

For a variety of reasons, it's better to run the spark gap close to the
primary, but not so close that you run the risk of flashovers from the
primary. Increasing the distance adds more "off axis" inductance in the
primary circuit. Added wiring length may also increase the amount of
radiated high frequency "noise" created in the primary circuit when the
main gap fires. As Malcolm has noted, these shock-excited high frequency
oscillations may induce HV breakdown failures if you're powering your
system from NST's or MOT's. However, this should not be a problem in PT
or distribution transformer-powered systems.

Keep the primary-to-gap distance reasonable (but far enough so that you
don't get breakdown or excesive corona) and you should be fine.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Dean" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>
>
> Hi Bert,
>
> It looks like you win the prize. Though some of the weird looking stuff in
> the pictures can be written off as reflections, not that. And yes, there is
> some autotransformer stuff going on in the primary, including turn to turn
> flashovers and D"Arsonval type discharges from the outer turn to the tap
> conductor coming from the sparkgap when the tuning is just a bit off the
> sweet spot.
>
> After the pictures were made, and I had changed to a larger cap, the
> phenomena became more pronounced, no one to take pictures of it then,
> though.
>
> So you suggest increasing the distance between the primary coil and the
> sparkgap. This brings me to my next question.
>
> How far do most folks run their sparkgaps from their coils?
> And on the same note, how far away would be to far?
>
> later
> deano

<SNIP>