RE: space winding

All -

The problem with discussing the Q factor of a Tesla coil is that more than
one Q factor is involved. If the person talking about TC Q factors does not
indicate which Q factor he/she is talking about there will be confusion.

David is correct about the Tesla Coil Design Manual. It does say that Tesla
coils with high Q factors are not desirable for spark gap Tesla coils. This
refers to operating Tesla coils. It does not apply to so-called tube or SS
Tesla coils. These devices use continuous waves instead of the dampened wave
of the true Tesla coil.

It appears that the only way to find the Q factor of an operating TC is by
the method I show in the Tesla Coil Notebook. This method utilizes the
equation
     Q = Pi/Log Dec
It is obvious from this equation that as the Log Dec increases the Q factor
decreases. The log Dec increases as the TC gets larger which gives lower Q
factors. This can be checked by tests with an oscilloscope.

It should be noted that the other Q factors related to the TC are greater
than the operating Q factor. The different Q factors of Tesla coils have
been discussed in earlier posts on the Tesla List.

John Couture