RE: SRSG motor modification

Hi Garth,

Could you give a bit more detail about your setup?  The key factors are the
width of your flats, the diameter of the rotor, the motor's speed and power,
and the dimensions of your disc.

I've modified a couple of bench grinder motors which sound like they have a
similar winding pattern, and found that I needed 2 x 15mm flats on an ~40mm
dia rotor. In terms of power, my 1/4HP motor will easily lock a 5 1/2"dia x
1/16" disc at 3000RPM with 4 x 4mm bolts as flying electrodes.  For a
thicker 6" x 1/2" disk it will only lock if I initially boost the voltage to
260V using a variac and increase the capacitor to 4uF from 2uF.  I've tried
making the flats a bit wider (I've gone up to 22mm in 2mm increments) but
the torque is if anything slightly lower.

Last week I modified a 1/2HP 3000RPM bench grinder, again with 15mm flats,
and this locks with no problem on a 6" x 1/2" disk including 4 rather hefty
6mm bolt flying electrodes.

It's amazing how much extra drag the 1/2" increase in diameter and thickness
generates, but I guess it makes sense as the formula for drag is ^2 for RPM
and ^3 for d.

I know running reducing RPM isn't an option with this motor, but have you
tried a smaller disk or even running the motor without a disk and looking
for lock using a mark on the shaft?

Hope this helps,

Colin.

P.S. There's a good photo of my altered rotor at
http://www.pyrochrome-dot-net/tesla/