Re: wire ga. vs. power

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/cordamp.htm

Current carrying capacities for wires are set by two things (code wise)
1) No more than 2% voltage drop in the run of wire, nominally 100 ft, but
if you have a 500 ft run, you'd better use bigger wire..
2) Wire temperature. Mostly limited by insulation rating.  This is why
multiple current carrying conductors in a cable have lower ampacities than
single wires, and why there is a derating for more wires in a conduit.