RE: air-core resonator

Chad, Steve,

Some air-ferrite core clarification/refinement:
The ferrite core increases the amount of inductance for
a given coil of wire.
Magnetics usage results a smaller xfmr (Vs air) with less
wire for a given inductance, reducing DC resistance loss
which reduces heat assuming the core material composed of
small insulated magnetic particles is able to switch efficiently
at the operating frequency else the core produces heat.
A core closes and confines the magnetic path assuring all
flux lines cut each turn optimizing coupling.
A cut core gap provides a high reluctance section allowing flux
to bulge out increasing the current where a core would otherwise
saturate sacrificing a bit of the ferrite advantage.

An air core xfmr could be wound but it would be much larger,
possess more DC resistance, and possess less coupling but since
there is no core to saturate increasing current increases the field.

Steve, below, assumes the same winding which would have much less
inductance requiring a much higher frequency for the same reactance.

A FW rectifier would be inneffective for the single transistor flyback.
For FW the drive must be push-pull or half bridge.
(Two switches providing drive in two directions, V to gnd or V to V)

If you want long power arcs (38"+ 7kV .2uF 4.9J)instead of more
but smaller streamers and are willing to wait a second or so between
bangs from a flyback TC see my recent DCTC "ion gen" postings & pictures.
It consumes much less DC power as well, <1 watt from 12v .05A (batt)!
Vs your 60 Watts (3A 18v)

Regards, Dale