From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: 03 August 2000 07:03
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Timing RSGs (was: easy rsgs)

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

> Original poster: "Paul Mathus" <pmathus-at-learningco-dot-com>
>
>      Terry Fritz's Radio Shack strobe light modification works well for
>      timing sync rotary gaps as well.
>
>      http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/RS-Strobe/RSStrobe.htm
>
>      paul

Paul and list,

When beginning tuning on my coil, I decided to try this option, even though
I really didn't have the $40+.  I ended up with less than desirable
results.  I spent a bit of time aligning the electrodes (NSTs off) using the
modified RS strobe.  When I hooked everything back up and applied the juice,
nothing happened.  I ended up turning the motor about 20deg in order to get
it to fire.  I think that I finally got it working about the best I could
hope for using trial and error.

I am using some PFC caps (maybe 240uF on a 15/90 setup), which I think was
the problem, as I was using the standard wall socket to power the strobe.
What was I doing wrong?

Mark