Re: Homemade HV transformer

Garth!

I have made a transformet equal in size, and I can confirm that you are
right on the mark with the measurement of volts/turn, and your
assumption of power out is seems plausible. This is for continious use,
in short runs, you will be able to pull out much more, basically only
limited by the heating in the copper wire.

Since this is a dedicated Tesla Coil Supply Transformer, you might as
well build some leakage inductance into it from the start, the winding
layout shown on my webpage does that, as well as separating the primary
and secondary windings, which is nice. Run the beast under oil for best
corona controll, and cooling.

The next one that I am going to wind, will have Nomex insulation instead
of Mylar. Mylar is a great dielectric, but slippery, so that the
windings have to be kept in place with Inverted Tape at the ends, to
keep it from sliding off the interleaving. Nomex, on the other hand, is
more like a fabric, so the windings stay nicely in place.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers, Finn Hammer

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm
goto "Homemade Pig"