Re: Pig Question

John,

>I use a homemade ballast which is about 300 turns of
>#12 pvc insulated solid wire wound on a 3" by 18" pvc pipe and
>filled with transformer "I's" from junked NST's.  There are a bunch
>of taps on the ballast which connect to a rotary selector switch
>to select the desired inductance.  It works very well.

This pretty much what I wanted to do, but I didn't know what size
tube/windings to use. will those same specs above be ok with 10+ kva ? will
a solid piece of iron work or does it need to be plates or powered? to
increase the current flow you just slide the iron middle section out of the
PVC right?

thanks for your help,

Dan