Re: air-core resonator

Hi Shad,

On 1 Aug 00, at 17:04, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>
>

> Hi all!
>
>  I'm looking at flyback drivers for giggles and experience, and am
> wondering... I've seen a lot of methods of re-wiring them with a new
> primary, and a feedback winding to make it self-oscillating.  Please excuse
> my ignorance, but will this method work on an air-core resonator, or is the
> ferrite core needed?

For the mode of oscillation these things normally work in the
core is required. The fact that it is driven near saturation
is all part of the equation.

 I'm guessing it is needed.  I've got a 16v
> some-ungodly-amperage transformer to push it with (the thing is
> center-tapped, and about 3"x4"x4"!), and a good 5lbs.  Don't need caps to
> explode wire, I just short that thing out, and *poof!*.  Anywho, I've got a
> good high-amperage supply, and plenty of 2n3055's to toast.  Got good
> heatsinking also.  Eventually i'd like to take a crack at a solid-state
> sillycon powered TC.  I believe flybacks would be a good place to start
> learnin'.  Less noise than a sparkgap too :)
>
>   Another question...A base-fed TC...that's just a secondary that's having
> high-powered RF pumped into it, right?  I'm assuming a primary isn't used,
> and the normal RF ground is used as the input.  What are the normal ranges
> for input power, and how exactly do you feed it?

Regarding input power, whatever you like bearing in mind you
will have to allow it to breakout before it builds up voltages
to a winding-destroying level. It is series-fed from the
oscillator - signal gets fed to the base and the cold side of
the oscillator is grounded.

Malcolm