[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2nd Light, BIG improvement!

     Folks,

     Last night was 2nd light for my first coil, specs below:

     12/60 NST, 6x24 secondary, .01uf Fairradio cap, RQ gap. 6x18 toroid.

     WOW what a difference!  The first time I ran it i got only about 16"
     spark from a bump on the toroid to a grounded rod and the safety gaps
     never even fired.

     Fired that puppy up last night and got 31" from bump to ground
     rod!!!!!

     I figured I didn't have enough main gap going, and added another deck
     with 5 more gaps to my RQ gap. Big difference!  Still can't get my
     toroid to break out without bumps, though.

     Got a pop from the safety gap once, maybe twice.  Which makes me think
     I could open the main gap up even more. . . .  .Won't try that until a
     later date, though, because last night was a test run for a party on
     Saturday, and I don't want to blow up my NST until after that:)

     paul