[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flat Ribbon Conductors

Hi,

Aluminum is a very bad RF conductor in general.  It forms a deep resistive
oxide layer on the surface that plays havoc with skin depth adding greatly
to the primary resistance and losses.  Wide straps helps to make up for
this.  Avoid magnetic materials completely.  Brass and copper are best.  I
don't think silver or gold plating will help considering the other losses
in the system although they may help in a corrosive environment and gold
would look great ;-)).  Having said that, it is fairly complex to determine
if adding a ohm or so to the primary circuit will hurt a given coil's
performance noticeably.  In a high energy well tuned coil, it could make a
big difference.  In another coil it may not be noticeable.  "I" would avoid
aluminum completely.  However, if you have a bunch around, you will
probably be happy with the results especially if you don't have a copper
primary right there to compare it with.

Cheers,

	Terry