[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac setting (Was Rd: Rotaty popping)

In a message dated 5/1/00 8:24:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>  >
>  > Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
>  >
>  Hi Ed, John,
>
>  Regarding the range of inductance having little effect in our systems, I
>  suspect this may be due to our own system parameters. I know others have
>  reported a big change with little inductance settings, but I seem to
> remember
>  those reports were not pig powered systems. I never ran anything but a pig
>  system so I have no comparison if the impedance of the xfmr plays a role
in
> the
>  variation or if the system after the xfmr is responsible. I really should
> pick
>  up a few NST's one of these days. Hard to do when a pig serves most
purposes.

Bart,

My work that I reported on below was done with pole pigs and with
potential xfrmers (which behave pig-like).  I do not use any ballast
with my NST's.  I suspect that lower sync breakrates require a more
critical ballast adjustment, and that higher non-sync breakrates are
less critical ballast-wise.

Cheers,
John Freau