[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Valves

<< So, I found looking through the www:

> Hydrogen Thyratron
> Peak forward anode V: 16kV        (a smile appears)
> Ave anode current:    200mA
> Peak anode current:   325A        (a slightly larger smile)

>  From the little notice I have taken of tube postings, i suspect this would
> be well suited to a tube-based coil.

> Now, I have NO experience with tubes per se (but I'm keen!).  Could some
> kind person give me an idea of where to start (a schematic would be
> outstanding).

> Many thanks

> Mark >>

Mark,

Generally hydrogen thyratrons are not used for tube coils.
One could be built that way, but it would not be a traditional design.
The usual way to build a tube coils is to use vacuum tubes; either
power, or transmitting types.

Richard Hull has done some work with classic TC's by replacing
the spark gap with a hydrogen thyratron.  This however is not a tube
coil in the traditional sense.  It is a tube coil in the sense that it uses
a tube however.

The traditional circuit for a tube TC is quite different than the circuit for
a spark gap TC.  In a spark gap TC, the spark gap is in series with the
resonant tank circuit components.  In a traditional tube TC, the tube is
external to the tank circuit.  A spark gap TC (or a hydrogen thyratron
based TC) uses a damped wave.  A traditional tube TC produces a
continuous wave RF output.

Cheers,
John Freau