[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: dilectrics

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Bryan Steinbach <warp27-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> Does anybody know the dilectric constant of saran wrap?  When in doubt I
> use four, but I would like to get a more accurate number.
>
> Bryan Steinbach
> Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/dynoget/tagj.

Bryan,

Saran Wrap is Polyvinylidene Chloride, and its dielectric constant is
between 4.88 (60 Hz) and 3.18 (1 MHz), so using 4.0 is not a bad
estimate at TC frequencies. At 1 MHz, it's over 700 times as lossy as
LDPE, so it's a rather lossy dielectric if you're thinking about using
it as a capacitor dielectric...

-- Bert --