[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re[2]: First light...Sort of

     First off, thanks to all who replied, the responses have all been very
     helpful.

     My original specs. were off (I said they were from memory, and not a
     very good one :)  Here are the correct specs:

     Power Supply:              15 kv NST, 60 ma

     Tank Cap:                  0.01 uF styrene
                                (4 x 0.04 uF, each with 2x20mil sheets
                                of styrene dielectric, stack caps in
                                oil bath)

     Primary:                   20 turn, 30 deg. inverted conical spiral
                                8.5" I.D, 25" O.D.
                                1/4" Cu Tubing, 1/4" Spacing

     Secondary:                 4.25" dia. x 54" long, close wound,
                                20 gauge (0.032" dia.) magnet wire,
                                1/8" wall PVC coil form

     Top Load:                  22" x 6" somewhat lumpy toroid

     Spark Gap:                 WAS (it died!) a RQ gap,
                                11 gaps -at- 0.02" ea.

     Since I made an enclosure for the RQ gap that includes a 1 HP vacuum
     motor for cooling/quenching, I'm thinking about building a new RQ gap
     with the same form factor.  I think I erred in using the same tube as
     my secondary coil form as support for the RQ gap.  It's the
     thin-walled, sickly-green PVC pipe used for low-pressure waste lines.
     Has anyone had similar problems using the thick PVC?  Would the
     chloronated PVC be a better choice.  What bonding method should be
     used to join the Cu pipes to the PVC?  I used JB Weld (epoxy) followed
     by Pop Rivets.

     What is another more heat-resistant material, available in a 4" OD
     tube, that would be more suitable than PVC (excluding such
     astronomically expensive options as phenolic and teflon tubes).

     Aric