[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Acrylic coil form for secondary

Aric,
       6" is available in cast acrylic and extruded....... cast is
better(more$ also)
extruded may have imperfections,plastiziers,ect..... look for extrusion
lines running down the length of the tube... cast will be perfect-dot-comparing
the physical properties with PVC does not give a obvious answer but here
are some "typical " numbers from the standard ASTM tests
(D570,D150,D495)...  you got me as to which parameter dictates when to seal
or not...............

                                   PVC                   acrylic
H2O absorption            .02-.04               .2
dis. factor                   .009-017        .02-.04
arc res.                      60-80 sec        no track
for comparison Polypropylene or Polyethylene  have nearly zero H2O
absorption and a dis. factor 20 to 30 times lower than either
I would go ahead and coat/seal can't hurt.might help.------- IMHO
As an aside acrylic can be polished and such to museum like quality .... a
Tesla Coil made with it would/could be a impressive sight to behold .
Robert
>>> <Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> 09/16/99 09:06PM >>>
Original Poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Aric_C_Rothman-at-email.whirlpool-dot-com
>
>      I have on order a 6 dia x36 long piece of 1/8" wall extruded acrylic
>      tubing on order.  What kind of surface treatment is recommended prior
>      to winding?  Is acrylic hydroscopic (like PVC), necessitating sealing
>      prior to winding?
>
>      TIA,
>      Aric

Aric,

No surface treatment is necessary for acrylic. Also, you can use
aluminum magnet wire, but try to get heavy-build (2 layers) insulation
to improve breakdown voltage.

-- Bert --