[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tungsten electrodes in static gap?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Don Allen <dona-at-amigo-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I've been reading the RSG gap thread and am wondering how
> well would tungsten electrodes work in a static gap?
>
> Does tungsten corrode with the use of high voltage, like copper?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don
>
> ---
>
> "Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson

Ive been using tungsten as my primary choice for my single gap system.
The gap is designed with 1/8" rods set into 1/4 - 20 bolts( bolts
drilled with a #30 bit ) these assemblies are set into a 2" PVC pipe 180
degrees apart ( 1/2" down inside from top). There is a shop vac
attatched to the bottom of this tube assy. the tube is approximately 10"
long. Also i took a propane torch and heated the PVC to make it "
moldable", after it was soft enuf i "squished " the tube to an oval
shape aproximatley 1" wide and 2.5" long ( the electrodes are set into
the short ends)      --(____)--

anyway there is some corrosion , the electrodes melt a bit on the ends
and become rounded, they were flush ground...    but over all
performance is great compared to copper or brass...   btw   these were
used on an 1800 watt system and tested on a 10KW system  and they are
still functional  ;)

Scot D