[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lots of questions on RSG's

<< Hello Everyone!

> Now that i"ve been coiling for nearly a year now, I guess it's time to step
up
> to an RSG and MMC outfit.  I have a friend machinist that is on standby, he
> always love what I have for him to do!  The only thing is I have many
> unanswered questions about an RSG, like:

> 1    If your looking for around 280-300 BPS, why would you need a
syncronious
 motor?

Kent,

You wouldn't.

> 2    I've red where many people have different views on material to use for
the
> electrodes, would a high grade carbon work?

Carbon might be too poorly conductive.

> 3    My machinist, Aaron, suggested running the RSG in a dielectric fluid,
> assist in quenching and cooling, any thoughts?

For the gap to break down, the arc would have to break down the fluid,
contaminating it with carbon most likely.  Also lots of friction in the fluid,
requiring a stronger motor and housing to prevent splashing, etc.  Gaps
would need to be very narrow.  A normal RSG quenches good enough.

> 3    Are there formulas that are required in designing an RSG, # of
electrodes
> at a given rpm, etc?

RPM divided by 60 = RPS(revs per second).  RPS x number of electrodes =
breaks per second of gap.

> 4    Since I have many motors laying around, what is an ideal motor, RPM &
HP,
> for the job (NST only)?

For a small RSG for NST, a motor anywhere from 1/20 to 1/4HP should be
good.   ***back to your question (1) above..... non-sync rotaries are
generally not good for NST's.....they tend to destroy the NST.  For an
NST system, generally the longest sparks can be obtained with a sync
rotary gap running at 120bps.  It is possible that if you used a large
bank of NST's for plenty of current capability.....then a non-sync gap
might work OK (maybe).

> 5    Is designing an RSG with an air blast a plus?

IMO....no.

Congratulations on finding the NST's, and having the Teslafest.

Cheers,
John Freau