[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Welders act as resistive Balast ?

<<  Hi All,
 >      In preparation for ballasting my pole pig I have repaired my Brazing
 >  transformer which I believe is similar to a welder.  Having shorted the
 >  output terminals I get from 3-50mH inductance on the primary at various
 >  current settings.  Testing it by itself (no Tesla coil) on the lowest
 >  current setting I draw 10A at 200v input i.e 2KVA.  My Weston Watt meter
 >  however registers 1800W.  My impression is such a transformer is
 represented
 >  as inductive ballast on the list, yet it consumes so much power.  I see no
 >  need for additional resistive 2-3 Ohm load as often recommended.
 >
 >  regards
 >
 >  Viv Watts UK.
 >   >>

Viv,

Are use just plugging the brazer/welder in normally across the AC line?
This will draw current because it's across the line.  But in the TC is
will be in series with one leg of the HV transformer input, this will convert
it to an inductive ballasting set-up.  Be sure the total power handling
capability of the brazer is large enough for the TC.

Often extra resistive ballast is not needed.

Cheers,
John Freau