[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG Questions...

In a message dated 9/8/99 2:46:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I am in the planning stage of building an RSG. If anyone has answers for
>  my questions they would be appreacated. My basic idea is for a 8-12"
>  disc with 4 electrodes. The rest is a bit in the air.
>
>  I'll be running on a pig power supply, aiming for 2-5 KVA. I would like
>  it to be able to handle the full 10 KVA of the pig though.
>
>  First, I see a lot of talk about sync RSGs for neon use. Does it matter
>  for pigs? Why/Why not? Seems that the neons overvolt quickly and burn up
>  on a non-sync RSG according to list posts. Is this a large concern for
>  the pig? I don't want to kill my pig. ;)
>
>  Where does one obtain motors for this? I see some large motors in the
>  hardware store for swamp coolers, will those work? They are probably not
>  sync, but may be modifiable.
>
>  If it's non sync, could I connect a varriac to it for speed control? My
>  thought here is that I could use the speed to help adjust the firing
>  timing. Which may be usefull in getting longer sparks. Seems like I read
>  about it someplace, I just can't remember where. ;)
>
>  Where can I get the tungsten electrodes and how do I cut the stuff or
>  get it cut? How do I get them to stay in place on the disc? I'm thinking
>  this will be the most expensive part, I want to make sure I do it right.
>
>  Travis

Travis,

I would suggest getting a 1/3 to 1/2 horsepower universal motor from one of
the discount electronic places.  You can use a small variac to control the
speed of these motors.  This is what I use on my system.  Sync or async, you
won't hurt that pig.  I have not seen evidence of higher powered systems such
as yours performing better with synchronous spark gaps.

Ed Sonderman