[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest coil

Gary, Don, and all,

I suspect that you're seing the effects of overvolting the secondary
coil. This often occurs when the coil length is too short for the peak
secondary voltage that's being developed, or the insulation of the
secondary wire is poor. Racing sparks tend to be faily random, seem to
be confined mostly to the upper portion of the coil, and can be
relatively easily eliminated by reducing the primary to secondary
coupling. On the other hand, overvolting is often not corrected by
reducing the coupling, and is characterized by discharges from the top
to the bottom (or near bottom) of the secondary. Overvolting can be
brought on by any change which will tend to significantly increase the
peak secondary voltage prior to breakout. This can include increasing
the gap size, tank capacitor size, or the toroid's minor diameter.
Getting streamers that are greater than 2.5-3X the secondary coil length
requires careful construction of the secondary and good electrostatic
field control by the toroid.

The fix is simple - use a longer secondary winding, wound from
double-insulated magnet wire or plastic insulated wire. A heavy topcoat
of a relatively high-k 2-part resin coating such as Behr Build 50 or
Aristocrat Coating will also improve the dielectric strength of
a secondary wound from magnet wire by helping to "smooth" and reduce
point stresses in the e-field around the top of the winding. These, or
equivalent products, are typically available at Home Depot of craft
stores. The latter product is also available through Craftswholesale on
the web at http://www.craftswholesale-dot-com/ under "Aristocrat Epoxy".

Safe coiling to you!

-- Bert --