[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: X-rays from light bulbs/Tesla Coils !!!

I would hazard a guess that it would be difficult, at best, to get any
significant dose rates off of a "light bulb" excited by a TC. X-rays are
produced when a electron with high kinetic energy (accelerated) strikes a
target, releasing what is known as BREMSSTRAHLUNG (braking radiation). The
higher the Z number (density) of the target element the greater the x-ray
production, that is why Tungsten is commonly used as a target, it has a
high atomic weight and a high melting point. Possibly if you were to use a
high vacuum bulb and wrap one end with Aluminum foil and connect the TC
output to the filament side you could get some x-ray production, but it
would most likely destroy the bulb, as pin hole leaks will form in the
glass under the Al foil. I have done this with high voltage regulator tubes
from old color TV's, and was able to produce about 1.2 R/hr. I believe
common light bulbs are not high vacuum??

I would use caution with any "high vacuum" type bulb, but I do not think
the common ones now days are, but I could be wrong. Who knows the gas
pressures and types of the more common bulbs?

Regards,

David Trimmell