[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dual toroid and efficiency tests

At 05:14 PM 09/01/1999 -0600, Tesla List wrote:

Hi John, all,

>Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

><<
>> I've been experimenting using your 14 x 4 smooth toroid with my larger
>> 18 x 4 and 20 x 6 corrugated aluminum ducting toroids. When I use just
>> the 14 x 4 by itself, the streamers are uniform, but not that long.
>
>Don,
>
>Do you obtain multiple streamers when you use the 4" by 13" smooth
>toroid alone?  If so, have you tried attaching an aluminum foil bump to
>form just one streamer?  (caution; if the bump doesn't make good
>electical contact it can burn the surface of the toroid and create a
>black burned spot)

Yes, they were all over the place. I could not get a single streamer
to form, using a drill bit taped down. The streamers were going off
the drill bit and the rest of the toroid, lots of em'.

>>When
>> I stack the larger 20 x 6 on top of it, I have to re-tune, but the streamers
>> are much longer using the corrugated aluminum ducting. I don't have
>> another completely smooth toroid to compare using two of the smooth
>> toroids together.
>
>> I get the best looking streamers using the corrugated 4 x 18 aluminum
>> ducting topload. They are evenly distributed.
>
>How does the streamer length with the 4" by 18" corregated toroid alone
>compare with the streamers from the 4" by 13" smooth toroid alone?  Do
>they give an equal number of simultaneous streamers?

I did some re-tuning for the smooth toroid. I tried turns 10-14, with the
best results coming on turn 13, the worst at turn 10,

Turn 14 is my normal tap point for the 4" x 18" corregated ducting
toroid. I normally stack the 6" x 20 on top of the 4" x 18 and leave
the tuning point at turn 14.

At turn 13, the streamers are definately longer with the smooth 4" x 13"
and also longer than using the corregated 4" x 18 alone. The corregated
4" x 18" ducting does not have as many break-outs. So, at turn 13,
the smooth toroid out-performs the larger 4" x 18" with more and longer
streamers.

Observation - If a corregated ducting toroid has the seams held together
using aluminum foil tape, the streamers want to predominate at the seam
point.

>Lou Balint has told me that when he placed one of my smooth toroids
>on his coil, he obtained multiple streamers, and could not force it to
>produce just one streamer even with a breakout point,  but the streamers
>were only 30" or less.  When he installed a much larger corregated
>toroid, he got just one streamer, and it was somewhat longer.  I don't
>know why some coils are producing shorter multiple
>streamers, and others produce longer but only one or two streamers
>using the same smooth toroid.  I probably depends on the TC output
>voltage, tuning may have an effect too.  I've noticed in general that
>tuning outwards a little often tends to reduce the number of streamers
>and gives longer sparks.

I had the same experience as Lou. With just the smooth 4" x 13"
alone, the streamers are more numerous and It was not possible
to get just one breakout point. When I use a larger 6" x 20"
corregated toroid, I get the longest streamer of all, but just at one
point.

>Thanks for the interesting report and experiments.

Thank you for making the 4" x 13 toroid such a work of art. It's
flawless. :-)

Don

http://www.fwpd-dot-net/dona/tesla/teslacoil.htm