[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST can't power Jacobs ladder!?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Thursday, September 02, 1999 2:00 AM
Subject: NST can't power Jacobs ladder!?

>Original Poster: Jan Florian Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>
>
>Hi!
>
>Am I missing something here, or is it really that NSTs can't power a
>Jacobs ladder? Both of my 8kv 50ma NSTs rated 400VA did light an array of
>neon tubes really bright as I tested them. Couldn't measure any
>internal shorts and no "burn throughs" (at least not below 2000 MOhm)
>in either NST - they seem perfectly ok !?
>
>But the Jacobs ladder simply doesn't want to work. Just a dim, blueish
>arc, that stays where it started (~4mm). Electrodes are perfectly clean.
>NST centertap is grounded. The ladder did work nicely with a tiny TV
>flyback...
>
>I thought that at 50ma you should at least get some sort of small flame?
>
>Any ideas?
>
>--
> Jan Florian Wagner
> jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi, petwag-at-kolumbus.fi
> http://www.dsh.edu.hel.fi

Hi Jan,
It sounds like the elements might be a little too close together at the
bottom. With the transformer unplugged, try adjusting the bottom of the
electrodes where the spark starts just a tiny bit further apart, then
connect it again. If the results are the same repeat the above procedure.
Please never attempt to adjust the elements with the power applied. 60 Hz
really hurts and it can kill you. If you adjust them too far apart the spark
won't start and you probably have to readust them just an RCH closer
together.
Don't worry, once the spark starts climbing it will look more flamy as it
grows.
Try making the top of the elements 2" apart from each other. If the spark
doesn't make it all the way up you can adjust the top to the same distance
as where the arc extinguishes. If it does make it all the way up, try
adjusting it further apart and see how far apart you can get the elements
and have the arc travel all the way up.
Operate the ladder in a breeze free environment. Even slight breezes can
have an effect on the arc.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.

S.G.