[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: question: how can input ac phase be delayed

<< Lou demonstrated this TC
> >at Ed Wingate's recent Super-Teslathon, unfortunately some of the
> >spectators left before the final magnificent results were obtained.
 >

> When one primary circuit fires,  does this produce a voltage in the other
> primary circuit ?  How are the two secondarys connected ?

Hi Richie, all,

The tops of the secondaries are connected together with flexible
metal hose, and this is connected to the extra coil with a copper pipe.
I suppose a voltage does reflect back to the other secondary and
primary, but doesn't seem to cause a problem.

> >This way they still fire near the peak, but the RF from one firing doesn't
> >interfere with the RF from the other firing.  Since two firings are
occuring

> I would have thought that it was unlikely for the relatively fast damped
> RF oscillations to overlap,  because the ringdown time will be short
> compared to the mains supply period.  He should easily be able to offset
> the firings sufficiently to seperate the RF envelopes without moving far
> off the peaks of the AC supply waveform.

The "window" for acceptable operation is extremily narrow.  I suspect
this is due to rotary gap timing jitter, which is forcing the offset to be
set wider than theory would suggest.

> >per half cycle, this is really a 240 bps system, although the individual
> >rotaries fire at 120 bps.  However unlike a standard 240 bps system,
> >here the two firings occur very close together in time, then almost a
 >>full 120th of a second passes before the next "double firing".

> Sounds very similar to the offset electrode idea that my new 200BPS gap is
> based upon,  although from what I can gather Lou's system is delivering
> the two bangs in quick succession. Maybe the second bang builds on the
> already ionised spark channel ?

I'm sure the second bang is building onto the first spark growth wise.
The question is; is this better or worse, or the same, as equally spaced
firings, spark growth wise.

And a big thanks to all who have made suggestions so far.

Thanks,
John Freau