[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [FAQ]

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: NickandSim-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi Travis
>              I think that doing that before we've agreed whose writing what
> etc. is likely to lead to all of us getting snowed under with 15K long
> emails.  We should delagate all the sections then stick them together and
> post them to a site so that people can review the result and suggest
> improvements.

OK then. We should consider ground rules too. Like the file format. Most of
this
will be raw text. However, some areas will need pictures. ASCII art isn't
really
great. I would like to be able to include GIF/JPEG pics. How does everyone feel
about doing HTML w/pics? I can handle the conversions for those that don't know
how to do it and would rather use something like MS Word. If you are going
to use
just plain text, please send a text file. Otherwise contact me and I'll let you
know what I can read.

The down side to that is we won't want to post it to the list. We could use a
program to strip all the HTML tags and pictures to get a plain text version
that
would be postable. I know there are a number of good programs arround to handle
that. This may get big, so a direct posting to the list may not be the best
idea
anyway. I would think most everyone with access to the list would be able to
access a web site as well.

Oh, and if you're going to make comments on a FAQ section posted to the list
please follow normal reply rules and snip anything not related to your
comment. I
don't want to get burried under huge emails any more then anyone else. ;)

> This is the structure of the file as suggested by Chip.

Hmmm... I could swear I wrote that. ;)

<snip>

I'll take the preface and Chapter 1 to start with.

> So far this gives us:
> Preface - Travis Tabbal
> 1-Travis Tabbal
> 2-?
> 3-Nick Field
> 4-?
> 5-?
> 6-?
> 7-?
> 8-Nick Field
> 9-?
> 10-?
> 11-?
>
> I'd be happy to do th final assembly of all the chapters so if once we've
> finished the individual bits we all mail them to me (nickandsim-at-aol-dot-com) I'll
> put them together and post them to my site.  As this FAQ is bound to generate
> quite some traffic we might also want to set up mirrors.

For now, let's just keep it all on-list and I'll maintain a web space for the
latest versions of chapters I see come accross. If it gets too big and we get
people asking it to move off-list I can set up a mailing list for the project.
Mirrors are easy and we can deal with that when we have something to mirror. ;)

Travis