[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ozone filters/absorbers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:25:02 -0500
From: David  Dean <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Ozone filters/absorbers (fwd)

>Subject: Ozone filters/absorbers
>
>I note that my laserjet III  printer has some sort of replaceable ozone
>filter in it (nominal life is 50K pages, but it's probably a "power on
>hours" factor as well). The filter obviously works (my printer reeks of
>ozone now, and didn't when it was new)...

50K pages is the life of the filter or the printer?
Laser printers use a xerographic process, the chargers are only
on when the machine is printing or copying so how long it is on would not
have an effect on the amount of ozone produced. It might help to clog the
filter with dust,
however, reducing the filters effectiveness somewhat.
A strong smell of Ozone around a copier or laser printer could be an
indication that
the charger (corona) wires are in need of cleaning or replacing.

>What are these filters made of? (activated charcoal?)

Yes. In copiers and printers the filters are a paper impregnated with
activated charcoal
and formed into a structure that looks like corrugated cardboard.

>Where does one get them? How much do they cost? (in large sizes)

One possibility would be to look in the Yellow Pages for a company in
your area that installs/maintains/services smoke eaters for bars and
restaurants, etc.
Smoke eaters are usually electrostatic precipitators and quite often have an
activated charcoal
filter of some size in them.

>Wouldn't something like this be helpful in the TC lab (or garage, or
>whatever) to get rid of the obnoxious ozone, which we all know isn't
>healthy, either for us or for rubber parts. Sure, the ozone has some
minimal
>germicidal effect, but I'd really rather get rid of it all..

I would think that adequate ventilation would be adequate.