[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: longer sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:37:21 +0100
From: bob golding <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: longer sparks (fwd)

At 21:47 12/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
             What kind of gap are you using with this setup?  The
>reason I ask is that I've noticed over time that lower voltage high
>current supplies work quite well with simpler gap systems as long as
>the primary cap is quite large.

Hi Malcolm All,
	The specs for my current setup are as follows.

two 9 kv 50 ma G.E neon transformers wired in parrallel

gap RQ/TCBOR using three 1 1/2" x 2" long copper pipes with .030" gaps.

no quenching at the moment.

23.5 nF MMC (5 banks of 10 47nF 1500 volt LCR poly caps with 10 meg bleed
resistors)

safety gap (no protection network at the moment).

Dedicated RF ground consisting of 2  buried 4 foot 1" copper pipes conected
with 1/4" copper pipe.(Room for improvement here?)

primary 12 turns 1/4" copper brake pipe tapped at 8 turns.

secondary 4.25" plastic drain pipe 21" winding length 23 AWG (measured L 13
mH)

top load: two toroids

toriod  one:  19" x 4" ally drier duct covered in ally tape

toroid two :  29" x 5.5" stainless flue duct covered in ally tape just
resting on top of bottom toriod.

Spark length 30" to grounded rod with break out point. could get more but
there is a wall in the way!

I am building a new gap at the moment consisting of 12 1" x 4" sections. I
should have this finished by the weekend hopefully. I have enough caps to
build another MMC of the same size to bring me up to 47nF This should be
enough to use with my 8KV 250mA radar transformer, although I will try it
with my neon setup first. I am a bit worried about frying my neons with
resonance rise though. I think the jury is still out of protecion networks.
hope this helps.

cheers
bob golding