[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST useability (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:57:50 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: NST useability (fwd)

<< Hi, all. Sorry for the bother.

>I am a total newbie to Tesla coiling, so I just confined
  my activities to reading the list and trying to accumulate
  the required pieces. I have acquired 4 NSTs so far ( one
> 5KV, one 7.5 KV and 2 9KV). One post mentions 12KV
  to 15KV as starting points for Tesla coils. Are my smaller
> transfromers useless?  What is needed? I have 4" and 8"
  PVC (2ft and 3 1/2 ft) that I was intending to wind. Are these
> both too much for the transformers I have in hand? I have
  delayed the high $ procurements untill I have some of the
> pieces in hand.
> Jim

Jim,

No bother at all.  THe smaller transformers work fine, although the
7.5kV is probably the best to use.  THe PVC pipes you have are fine
too.  In one test, I used my 6" by 24" secondary coil, and powered it
using a 7.5kV, 30ma NST, with a .0077uF cap, etc.  This TC gave
I think 20" sparks or so.  I also used a synchronous rotary gap with
that setup.

John Freau