[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Beginner Tesla Questions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:24:35 -0400
From: Grayson B Dietrich <electrofire-at-juno-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: More Beginner Tesla Questions (fwd)

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999 10:29:50 -0600 (MDT) Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original Poster: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hello, Ryan

> Hey, I just need to get a few more questions answered before I get
> all my
> parts and start constructing my own Tesla coil.  First of all, is
> the same
> wire that is coiled around the secondary connected to the torus on
> the top,
> or does the torus just sit there and draw electricity somehow from
> just
> sitting there?

No, your reason for asking shows inquisitiveness and good reasoning,
curiosity, and enough self-confidence to overcome your fear of seeming a
fool. ;)
The top wire should have a physical connection to the toroid. Otherwise,
you'd probably catch the secondary form on fire with arcs between the top
turn and the toroid.

 (May be a stupid question, but hey, if the primary
> drives
> the secondary with no hard wiring, maybe the secondary has the same
> effect
> on the torus. :)  Secondly, how am I going to coil that tubing for
> my
> primary into a neat little conical spiral?

As the stuff comes coiled up in a nice way, it isn;t too hard to feed it
into your primary coil form, usually consisting of six legs, though four
or eight can be used. These are long plastic pieces with slots machined
into them to recieve the tubing. It can press-fit or be secured with
whole lot of platic cable ties.

(Or is there an easier or
> more
> effective way to do it?)  Another thing - aren't we concerned about
> the
> sparks from the torus tracing back and striking the primary?

Yes, we are concerned about that. But if you have the correct
coupling(reduce it by raising the secondary until there are no pri-sec
strikes if such occurs) and the geometry of your coils is correct, then
having the exposed pri coil isn;t a problem. Having a wide toroid a
sufficient distance above the top turn helps to direct the arcs up and
away from the coil, allowing sparks many times (usually no more than 3X)
the length of the secondary coil.

If so,
> why
> would you construct the primary right there around the base of the
> secondary,

the primary needs to be physically close to the secondary si the magnetic
field it creates will pass through the secondary in the proper intensity.

about 2 feet from the toroid, with no cover or anything?

> 	Thanks,
> 	    Ryan

Grayson Dietrich
www.electrophile.8m-dot-com