[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: why 1:5 and max 1000? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:59:57 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: why 1:5 and max 1000? (fwd)

Hi Arwin,
                The 5:1 aspect ratio together with the 1000 turns is a
guide that will get you a secondary with a good Q. Using this guide
forces you to use a winding wire with a suitable thickness that offers
a balance between inductance and resistance. Note also that if you
use this guide and space wind a coil, you do pretty much the same
if the wire thickness is not less than half the inter-turn distance.
Space winding is more hassle but does save on wire costs. The
reason why there is not much difference between the two has to do
with a reduced proximity effect for the space wind.

Regards,
Malcolm