[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: replies to "pigs and other novice questions" (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 08:08:45 -0600
From: Travis Tabbal <bigboss-at-xmission-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: replies to "pigs and other novice questions"

Tesla List wrote:

> Not that I'm one to argue (yea right), but SCR's are used in all sorts of big
> hairy inductive things.  I have personal experience with 40KW inverters (by
> LaMarche) that came out with a new design using triacs.  When the triacs
> fried for the third time from the start-up surges from our printers, they
> went back to the reliable and virtually indestructible SCR's from the
> previous design.  Also, I have some "surplus" SCR's from a rope-weaving
> factory where they were used to control 10 and 20 HP motors.  Maybe they
> included quenching circuitry or something to protect the SCR's that's not on
> your usual light dimmer.  But it sounds like that's not the idea of current
> limiting anyway.

I've never heard of them being used in that application. That's very interesting.
I suspect there is something going on there to keep the problem from occuring,
maybe a better SCR can handle it? I don't know for sure. I mentioned it simply
because I've read about problems with light dimmers on inductive loads. I could
certainly be wrong, since I use Varicas and have never tried light dimmers or
SCRs on transformers. Perhaps someone else knows what they are talking about and
will jump in to clarify this. ;)

Travis