[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Looking for motor

Hi Rodney,

	Fractional horsepower sync motors can be bought but you will save a ton of
money just making you own out of a standard AC induction motor.  The
"plans" for the conversion can be found at:

	www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/syncmot.zip

Sync motors like to run warm.  So I would get one about twice the
horsepower rating you think you will need.  When you grind the flats in the
rotor, the no load current goes up but the horsepower goes down.  I use a
1/4HP with a 10 inch rotor with no problem.  I would stick with 1800 RPM
and avoid trying for 3600 RPM.  3600 is so fast that you need really good
machining and balance while 1800 RPM is more forgiving.  I ground my rotor
with and angle grinder by hand with no problem and it runs very smoothly.
But I was very careful.

Cheers,

	Terry

Cheers,