[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Voltage Multiplication Circuits

Forgot on my previous post...

The diode PIV should be 2 Vpeak (i.e. for 1000 V transformer input, use a
3kV diode).

The capacitor values can either be the same all the way up the stack, or
can be bigger at the bottom (say 4 for the bottom, then 3, then 2, then 1
at the top cap of a quadrupler).  The improvement in ripple current from
using caps that get bigger isn't all that much, particularly for big
stacks, and the cost to goes up as the square, so where you need it most,
it costs much more.  If you need less ripple current, these days it is much
easier to increase the input frequency with a switcher.

more at http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/cw1.htm