[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: alternative static spark gaps???

At 02:50  05/11/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Michael Thomson" <miketz-at-cqnet-dot-com.au>
>

>I was out on a mine site today, and had to get some gouging done, and had a
>brain-wave...
>
>For those that don't know, Gouging is the electric welder version of oxy
>cutting, using hollow carbon rods instead of steel rods. (It is also
>extremely loud!)
>
>Would a setup like the old arc-lamps (self adjusting spark-gap with
>sacrificial electrodes) using these rods be of too high a resistance for
>coil use?

I imagine NO.

Not an expert but the whole premise of these systems is to maintain the
arc, not extinguish it as we desire for TC use.

This was a clear lesson on one of my earlier static gaps.  I used dome nuts
on the end of brass rod and some lengths of copper pipe for heat
dissipation.  The dome nuts formed hollows in the ends which trapped
heated/ionized gas and the subsequent performance was ABYSMAL !

I would imagine these hollow rods would suffer exactly the same problem
....... unless you forced high pressure air down the middle ..... HMMMM ???

Cheers

Mark

Tesla Home Page:   http://www.adelaide-dot-net.au/~mefinnis/