[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformers

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Travis Stewart" <mrprosser-at-geocities-dot-com>
>
> Hi,
>         I wrote an e-mail a little while ago about building my first
> tesla coil, and I would like to know if I can get some advice about
> transformers, what some are sources, and the different kinds of
> transformers I can use.  From most people, and most sites I've read
> most people seem to use a neon sign transformer, but I want to know
> what other types can be used because where I live their seems to be a
> distinct lack of these anywhere I have checked.

The NST is used a lot in the US because it's so available. If you really
can't find one in your area there are a few people that have a lot of
them and sell them online. The shipping may get you though, they are
heavy. If you let us know what geographical area you are in maybe
someone on the list has a source in that area, or a spare they would be
willing to sell you. You can use other transformers. The OBIT
(Oil-burner ignition transformer) and MOT (Microwave Oven Transformer)
are also commonly used. Or with a solid state driver you can use a car
ignition coil. There is an article in a recent issue of Popular
Electronics, IIRC that describes a solid state coil.

And there is the always wonderfull pole pig (power utility transformer).
They are big, heavy, expensive, and dangerous. ;) Not recomended for a
beginner. For beninner to intermediate coiling I'd say stick to the
current limited units like NST, MOT and OBIT. You can use most anything
that outputs 5KV+ and arround 30+ mA. You may want to look for higher
voltages, most people seem to start with 12KV units. I used a 15KV on my
first coil. But many people get success with lower voltage units. It's
all in the design. Find what you can and let us know. I'm sure someone
on here can help you get going with whatever power supply you can find.

Travis Tabbal