[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac turn-on surge solution

> I note that the breaker probably only trips when the variac is energized
> near the peaks of the AC waveform.  You could install a big 25 amp solid
> state relay that is designed to switch at the zero voltage crossings.  Thus

u-hum. Variac (or any transformer) is an inductive load. It has 90 degree phase
lag (ideally, in practical device some resistive component is there). If
switching
would occur at zero-crossing point it would draw maxinum transient peak.

However, normally (pure) inductor current is zero at ac peak. So, that's when
the power should be applied. Zero-crossing switch would be much worse.

Simpliest thing is to use some resistor to feed the system and a time relay to
switch on full power somewhat later.

Harri