[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Damage to the Secondary

Hi Ryan,
                A lot depends on just what damage is sustained......

> Original Poster: "Spud" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>
>
>  I wound a 4"x22" secondary the other day with 26 gauge wire, and
>  started
> coating it with polyurenane.  At some time during this long process,
> the form fell over and screwed up a big chunk of wire.  (It landed on
> a sharp car-jack edge.)  None of the wire was severed or anything, but
> it was pushed up and squished. About a half an inch of wire was ruined
> about in the middle of the secondary.  Now after I threw a fit, I went
> and wound another one.  Since I have access to a mechanical lathe that
> totally automates the process, I can wind an entire 4x22" coil in
> under 10 minutes. :)  (That oughtta' get some envy from fellow coilers
> who have to do it with a crank jig or even by hand. :)   So anyway,
> my question was,  just out of curiosity, what would happen exactly if
> I purposely used the damaged coil in my Tesla coil system?

If the interturn insulation is damaged, it won't perform nearly as well.
A ding or two without crushing the wires together will work but you
can't run as much primary energy without causing flashovers etc.
Been there, done that. I guess it's an integral part of coiling to have
done this sooner or later.

Regards,
Malcolm