[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 120 bps vs. 240 bps comparison tests

< Original Poster: "B**2" <bensonbd-at-erols-dot-com>

> Hi John, All,
>     Very nice experiment!  Your conclusion

>>"It would appear from these results, that
>> a large bang size contributes much more greatly to spark length
>> than higher break rates, for a given power input."

 >leads me to be curious about the percentage of power lost in the spark
 >gap at the higher break rate since the primary system requires several
 >oscillations for full energy transfer to the secondary.

Thanks Barry.  If there's more relative loss in the gap, it must be
due to the lower voltage of the bangs at the high break rate.  This is
possible, but I don't think it's affecting the results too much.  I ran a
new test which I posted separately, in which I raised the break rate
but kept the bang size constant.  The spark increased, but still a lot
less than it would with a cap size increase instead of a break rate
increase.  The relationships seem to be staying relatively constant
in all the tests.

John Freau