[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Environment

At 04:04 PM 5/25/1999 , you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>

>> One more question,  concerning the vacuum sealed spark gap for the TC's;
>does
>> this open the door to vacuum sealed spark gaps that might produce X-Rays
>or
>> alpha rays?
>>
>I would think the outer casing of the vacuum gap would stop the alphas. At
>the TC spark gap voltages of 10-20 kV, x-ray emission is negligible.

Well I wouldn't scoff at 10-20 KeV X-rays, but unless you are sitting on
the vacuum gap for extended periods, and wish to have normal children, then
there is no danger ;-)   I don't Know where the Alpha's would come from,
unless you are using Thorated Tungsten rods as electrodes, and then, yes,
they wouldn't make it out of the gap.

I have a question though: Sometimes I want to produce x-rays, I have used
various vacuum tubes and a small Tesla coil with some success, but never a
vacuum spark gap. Could someone describe them to me? What dimensions? What
are the electrodes made from? Etc?

Thanks in advance,

David Trimmell